While you’re spring-cleaning this season, don’t forget about your hardwood floors! Dirty and dull floors are out of season. But before you start mopping, make sure you’re cleaning your hardwood floors right, so you don’t damage them. Here is a step-by-step guide of how to get that beautiful gleam back in your floors:
Clean Hardwood Floors the Right Way
- First make sure to sweep, vacuum or dust any crumbs or particles off of the floor.
- Then, make sure to determine the type of finish your floor is sealed with. This can determine which type of solution you clean with.
- SVB recommends using cleaners specifically made for your floor type. For most of the floors we install, that would be urethane treated floors. We highly recommend Bona hardwood floor cleaning products.
- Remember that water is wood’s worst enemy; so be sure to use a damp mop, not a soaking wet one.
- Mop in the direction of the wood grain
- When the cleaning solution is dirty, empty the bucket out and mix a new solution
If you’ve followed all these steps and still don’t see the results you were hoping for, you might look into refinishing your hardwood floor. SVB offers the Bona Atomic Dust Containment System, or DCS, which refinishes your hardwood floors with no dust residue. Dustless sanding is also a quick process, which allows your family to continue living their lives uninterrupted.
What NOT to Do
We just gave you a step-by-step process of how to deep clean your hardwood floor, but we think it’s just as important to know what not to do. Make sure you steer clear of these things which can damage hardwood floors:
- Don’t let debris like sand or dirt build up on your floor. It can scratch and scuff the wood’s finish like sandpaper.
- Don’t let pet’s claws get too long. They can scratch floors.
- Don’t wear sharp heels on wood floors.
- Don’t use harsh household cleaners, such as those containing oils, soaps, or waxes. Cleaners that aren’t made specifically for wood floors can dull the floor’s finish.
- Don’t use steam cleaners on hardwood floors. The excessive heat and moisture can lead to cupping and long-term damage.
Happy spring-cleaning! Call SVB Wood Floors if you need help caring for your hardwood floors at, (913) 213-5187.