Because we install hardwood floors every day, we sometimes forget that our valued customers don’t always know what to expect. It’s always better if both parties have the same expectations so there are no surprises and the installation goes smoothly. So here’s a little rundown of the process to give you a better idea of what happens with a wood floor installation with SVB Wood Floors.
STEP 1: Before we begin the installation process, we will ask you to make the room ready. This requires removal of the furniture, drapery, and anything hanging on the walls.
STEP 2: If your floors are being sanded, be prepared for some noise, but not a lot of dust. Our dust containment system eliminates the dust and cleanup of regular sanding.With dustless sanding, the dust is whisked away to an outside container before it has a chance to spread all over your home. This makes for a faster, dust-free installation.
STEP 3: We can repair any cracks, holes, or gouges that we find.
STEP 4: We stain your floor with our custom stain color chosen by you.
STEP 5: After the stain is dry, we finish the floor with several applications of an environmentally safe, durable and fast-drying top coat to protect your floor. Your floor will be ready for foot traffic in two to three hours.
How to Keep Your Hardwood Floor Beautiful
Because hardwood floors will last for decades, you’ll want to know what to do and what not to do once you have them in your home to keep them looking their best. Here are a few dos and don’ts for hardwood floor care:
- After the floor is ready, you can move your furniture back in. We recommend putting felt pads under your furniture legs and feet to reduce any scratching.
- Sweep or vacuum your floor often to get rid of dirt and grit that scratches the floor.
- Place mats at entrances to catch dirt and grit. Don’t use rubber-backed mats as these may discolor your floor.
- Remove spills promptly with a soft damp or dry cloth. Sweep or vacuum for dry spills.
- Always avoid walking on hard wood floors with cleats or high heels.
- Trim your pets’ nails to avoid scratching.
- Never slide furniture when moving or rearranging it. Lift and carry it instead.
- Never use cleaning products not recommended for wood floors.
- If your floor starts to look dull after a few years, call us for hardwood floor cleaning. It’s non-abrasive and removes the toughest dirt and grime from your hardwood floors without hurting the finish.
Free Wood Floor In-Home Consultation
If you’re thinking of installing hard wood floors in your Kansas City area home, call us for a free in-home consultation. We’ll help you choose the wood floor with the perfect color, style, and price range for you. Don’t wait. A beautiful new hardwood floor can be yours usually within a couple of weeks. We can even create custom wood floor designs for you with borders, inlays, mosaics and more. Call us today at (913) 213-5187.